× Error!

How to Apply

To apply, you need to complete our online application form. This will let you know whether you are eligible to apply and what housing options are best for you.

Who can apply

Not everyone is eligible to apply. You must have a right to reside in the UK - without this, you are not eligible for social housing.

Applicants without a local connection to the area, usually would not qualify. Applicants whose household income exceeds a certain threshold, home owners or those who have a history of rent arrears or anti-social behaviour may not qualify - see our Housing Allocations Policiy for more details.

To make an application, go to the online form here

I do not have access to a computer of Wi-Fi. How do I access the form?

We will no longer accept paper application forms. You will need access to a computer, laptop, smart phone or tablet to re-register and to view available properties each week.

If you do not have access to either a computer or the internet at home we ask that you check with a relative, friend or neighbour to see if they can provide you access to an internet ready device.

Our Council Information Offices at; Hythe, Totton, Lymington, New Milton, Lyndhurst and Ringwood will have access to a tablet device which you can use to access the form.  Please check the councils website re opening times at present due to Covid.

Hampshire County Council Libraries at; Ringwood, Fordingbridge, Hythe, Lymington, New Milton, Totton have access to multiple computers and have free Wi- Fi to allow you to use your own device. Library staff are aware the re-registration is taking place.  Please check Hampshire County Council's website for opening times and facilities available due to Covid.

Volunteer groups such as:

The Crossings in Hythe have access to computers and Wi-Fi and will hold volunteer drop in sessions at The Jordan Room, St John’s Church, Hythe, SO45 6BP. Wednesdays 10.00am - 1.00pm and Saturdays 10.00am - 12.15pm - Please contact to confirm services available and times due to Covid.

For more information on how they can help call 07486 551 272 or email info@thecrossings.org.uk

I can access a device with internet access, but I don’t think I will be able to use it. What can I do?

We ask that you first check with a relative, friend or neighbour who may be able to help you. There are a number of groups in your local area that may also be able to assist you, These are:

•  Citizens Advice – call 0300 330 9009

•  Volunteer groups such as:

The Crossings in Hythe, The Jordan Room, St John’s Church, Hythe, SO45 6BP.

Wednesdays 10.00am - 1.00pm and Saturdays 10.00am - 12.15pm Call 07486 551 272 or email info@thecrossings.org.uk

•  Drop in sessions for services you already receive

•  New Forest District Council Homesearch Team 02380 285222.

I do not have an email address. How can I get one?

This is usually a simple process and takes just a few minutes. These can be obtained from Google, Hotmail and Yahoo to name a few examples. We ask that you have a go at setting up your own email address, ask someone you know to help or access the services named above.

What happens if I start completing the online application form and I do not have all the information I need to complete it? Or run out of time?

The form should take around 40 minutes to complete.

As long as you have gone past the stage in the form where you have to provide an email address and password, you can save the information on each screen and complete it another time.

How do I come back to a partially completed online form?

You simply need to click on the link here and answer the initial questions to enable you to log back in.

How do I get my proof documents to you?

Go to 'sign in' at the top right hand corner of the webpage and enter your email address and password and there is the facility to 'upload documents'.  This can be done at any stage after you have submitted your application.  They must be photos or PDF's.  Due to the current pandemic this is the safest and quickest way.  You can also have documents scanned and sent to us at any of our Information Offices, please check their opening times as they may change due to the current pandemic.  

Once I have completed the online application form in full and submitted it, what will happen next?

Your form will be passed to a member of the Homesearch Team who will review the information you have provided

They will then email you to ask you to provide any proof documents that you haven’t previously submitted to allow us to verify your application

Once all proof documents have been received to verify your application, your application will be assessed in line with the New Allocation Policy and it you are eligible then you will be placed into Band 1,2,3 or 4.

We will then be emailed advicing you of your assessment in line with the policy.  

Supporting information

You will be expected to provide supporting information when you submit your application. The online application form will tell you what you need to upload or send to us. If you do not send the information we ask for, your application will not be accepted and you will not be able to 'bid' for housing.

Help with your application

If you need help with your housing application or if you are not able to use the online form for whatever reason, please contact your local authority for more advice.

What to do if you are not happy with a decision

If you are not happy with a decision that we make, you can ask us to review the decision.

Which properties to bid for

You will be informed of your bedroom entitlement through the waiting list when your application is accepted to the housing register.  This is normally determined by how many people are in your household, the age of any children.  When you log in to your account, you will be able to see the properties you are eligible to bid for. When choosing a property to bid for, you need to consider a number of things:

Is there an age or other restriction on the property?

Some properties have a minimum age requirement, for example, in some cases only people over 60 can apply.  In Rural Parish Connection areas, you will be required a connection to the parish in line with the Allocations Policy.  If there are any restrictions apply these will be shown on the adverts.

Will I get a property in the area I want?

We encourage you to bid for any area in which you are interested. However, in rural areas, preference will be given to applicants who have a local connection to that parish or cluster, in the first instance.

Can I afford the rent?

It's important to make sure that you can afford the rent and all other bills for any property that you bid for. Information about the level of housing benefit can be found on Valuation Office.


Some landlords will not allow you to keep pets. Some landlords will allow one pet with permission.  You may want to consider waiting to get a pet until you are settled in accommodation and have obtained written permission.  If you already have a pet, you should always check with the landlord before bidding and consider that pets may restrict the likelihood of being offered accommodation where pets are not allowed.

Before you bid

Please ensure that you are interested in the property.